Call NHS 111 - available 24 hours a day/7 days a week
When you need medical advice or an out-of-hours GP.
Calling NHS 111 is free from a landline or mobile phone. The service is staffed by fully trained call advisors who are supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. If an ambulance is needed - the NHS 111 call adviser will arrange for one to be dispatched immediately.
Visit your local Pharmacy
Pharmacists can offer free, qualified health advice at any time with no appointment needed.
For details of pharmacies open over bank holiday weekends call NHS 111 or visit www.england.nhs.uk/mids-east-ea-at/pharmacy/
Go to a Minor Illness and Injury Unit or Walk in Centre
These offer convenient access to treatment for a range of minor illnesses and injuries.
Conditions that can be treated at the Minor Injuries Units and Walk-In Centres include
- X-Rays are available on weekdays
- Wounds - cuts and bruises (tetanus immunisation can also be given)
- Bites - human, insect and animal
- Minor burns and scalds
- Muscle and joint injuries - strains, sprains, limb fractures
- Sports injuries
- Emergency contraception
- Eye problems eg. removal of foreign bodies, conjunctivitis
- Earache (patients aged two and over)
- Cystitis (not children or male patients)
- Minor head injuries (with no loss of consciousness)
Where ?? Minor Illness and Injury Unit (MIIU):
The Peterborough MIIU can treat minor injuries and illnesses from strains and sprains, to broken bones, minor burns and bites. It is often unnecessary to make a trip to A&E, when you can easily be treated here, with your local pharmacist or GP. The MIIU also aims to start patient treatment within 45 minutes.
- City Care Centre, Thorpe Road, Peterborough PE3 6DB - Tel: 01733 293800
- Opening Hours - Monday to Sunday 08:00 to 20:00
The A&E department and 999 services should be used when it's a critical or life threatening emergency only.
If you think you need to see a doctor out of normal surgery hours and you can't wait until they open again, calling 111 will connect you to the Out of Hours GP Service.